It wasn’t pretty, but the Bobcats finally notched their first home victory on Monday night over the Minnesota Timberwolves, 113-110. The Cats were in control with an 8 point lead late in the third quarter before stagnating and falling behind by as many as 9 halfway through the fourth.
But the Cats finished the game on an 11-3 run to rally for the win. The deciding stretch started with just under two minutes left with clutch threes from Stephen Jackson and DJ Augustin, continued with ratcheted-up defensive intensity and huge steals by Jack and Tyrus Thomas, and ended with some Gerald Wallace free throws.
- The quick rundown above doesn’t quite give that wild finish quite enough justice. It was borderline frenetic; the Bobcats looked right at home, while the young Timberwolves looked seriously rattled. And after Gerald Wallace committed a silly foul, Wes Johnson had a chance to tie the game with two free throws with 3 seconds left. He missed both.
- Prior to the last couple of minutes, the Bobcats hadn’t played much defense, which is a big change compared to how they played at home last year. Michael Beasley almost singlehandedly kept the T-Wolves in the game with 28 points.
- Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson led the way for the Cats with 26 points each. Gerald lived at the free throw line (17-19 FT, a team record for made free throws), while Jack did his damage from behind the three point line (5-6 3PT).
- DJ Augustin had a really nice game with 9 points and 11 assists/1 turnover. He had a huge breakaway layup after Jack’s steal during the game-winning rally that should have been an and-1.
- Tyrus Thomas had 20 points/10 rebounds off the bench, but was the latest Bobcat to catch the turnover bug with 7!
- You know how they film various players and coaches reading the “Fan Code of Conduct” disclaimer, then edit it altogether and show it on the video board? Guess whose clip they use for the part about “not disrupting the game or using foul language”? Yep, Stephen Jackson. Touche, Bobcats video intern, touche. In related news, Jack picked up another tech tonight.